The Brass Band Archive
Taking Care of Brass Bands' Heritage
Open Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays
See also the Brass Band Archive website
For an appointment to view the collection at other times
telephone the curator, Walter Ainscough, 01942 231811
or Alan Marsh, 01942 747644
to provide a service and preserve the heritage of the Brass Band movement.
The archive consists of more than 7,000 sets of music and scores, recordings, programmes, band journals and more and is a unique resource for the serious researcher and the simply curious!
The Archive currently includes:
- memorabilia of Harry Mortimer, Harold Moss, William Rimmer, William Halliwell and many other brass band figures
- over 7,000 sets of music and scores
- hundreds of recordings in CD, LP and 78 formats
- copies of the British Bandsman from 1887
- a complete run of Brass Band World
- copies of other brass band periodicals
- many books on brass bands
- thousands of contest programmes
- old uniforms and stand banners
- instruments and contest trophies
New material is being sought for the Archive. If anyone has any brass band memorabilia or other items that they would like to give or loan to the Archive, please contact Walter Ainscough or Alan Marsh (see contact details below).
The Brass Band Archive does require funding for its upkeep. Donations will be very welcome.
You are invited to join The Friends of the Brass Band Archive
for an annual fee of £25.
Life membership is available for £100.
Application forms are available from Walter Ainscough or Alan Marsh (see contact details below), or can be downloaded from the British Brass Band Registry website
Walter Ainscough, 95 Ashbourne Avenue, New Springs Park, Wigan, WN2 1HW. Tel: 01942 231811
Alan Marsh. Tel: 01942 747644