- Tenors are never ugly. Tenors are heros. Tenors make lots of money. Tenors often die in the last act. Tenors get the best bits to sing. If a tenor can sing a good high note he will get applause. Sopranos go for Tenors.
- Sopranos are always beautiful. Sopranos are young virgins. Wagnerian Sopranos wear funny hats. Sopranos are to blame for frightening newcomers from opera. Sopranos have a propensity for going barmy. Sopranos love tenors.
- Mezzos are bad people. Mezzos are gypsies, witches and murderers. Mezzos are seldom blonde. All nurses and housekeepers are mezzos. Rossini mezzos are different. Mezzos seduce tenors.
- Baritones are schemers. Baritones are nasty, horrible people. Baritones have hunchbacks. Baritone soldiers never outrank tenor soldiers.
- Basses are kings, wisemen or priests. Basses can be funny.