This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.
Ystalyfera Public Band
About 1863 a Drum Fife Band was formed at Panteg and was conducted by Mr W.D. Thomas. With the free importation of brass instruments from the contiment and the successful way that the young men were becoming proficient on the brass instruments, it was decided in the later part of 1865 to obtain from Messrs Aawkes a full set of brass instruments. Thus was formed the first brass band in the Swansea Valley. The instruments arrived only a week before Christmas 1865. The band became known as the ''Blue Ribbon'' band of Ystalyfera ( although the name was the Ysatlyfera Temperance Silver Band), and is now known as the Ystalyfera Public Band.
Mr Charles Anthony Morgan was founder and conductor of the Panteg Chapel Orchestra and he thought it was his duty to revive and re-establish the band after the death of Mr W.D. Thomas in 1896. The band went on to be successful in many competitions including the old Crystal Palace London and Belle Vue, Manchester. They became members of the West Wales Brass Band Association in 1905 and have remained so to this day.
In 1905 Mr Tom Emrys Jones took over the band as conductor and took the band to varying success in the championship section until his death in 1948.
1949 was the year thet Mr Lewis Williams became conductor of the band and this was the start of, if not the first colourful, productive and successful era for the band. Under his baton the nad in 1953 won the 1st Prize in Class D at the 'Daily Herald' All British Championships and again in 1958 Mr Lewis Williams retires at the end of 1976 and Mr Aywel.
Glyn Lewis was appointed Musical Director dering the 1978 contesting season. The band gained five first prizes which ment that they were they were promoted to Class 2 to Championship section were they remained until the bad lost a few top young players to Universities in 1982.
In 1992 Mr Ceinfryn Phillips was asked if he would complete re-establishing the band again as they still had most of their instruments and most of all their own bandroom, which had by now been refurbished and used as a 'Village Hall' by the residance of Panteg ( ths being permitted under the band deeds ). Mr Phillips agrees to do so and started with young children from lower Cwmtwrch Primary School. Since the older members have returned and they had been able in the past six years to play carols around the village at Christmas, and for the last three years played at all the ' Gwyl Ystalyfera ' functions and also in various chapels in the area.