This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.
Whitehaven Brass Band
The bands roots began in 1856. It was then known as "Blacks Band" originating as a pit band; Blacks being the owners of one of the many small pits in the town. It was reported in the local paper i.e. Whitehaven News of the February 10th 1859 that the Whitehaven Public Band gave a charity concert with the Whitehaven Miners Band, Blacks and the St James church choir to raise funds for the dependents of the miners lost in the New Hartley Colliery Disaster. The miners band under the direction of Mr. Geo Hunt, later to become Drum Major Hunt. Eventually both bands amalgamated to become Whitehaven Public Band as a public subscription band. A man closely linked to the band was the owner of the "Station Hotel", Mt Ballard, who raised much money for the band. Sadly the Station Hotel burned down in the 1950s.
Whitehaven was granted a royal charter in 1894 to become a borough, hence the band committee of the day applied to the newly chartered borough for permission to have the new boroughs coat of arms on its base drum. This permission was granted subject to the proviso that the subject to the band agreeing to take some financial remuneration and would take the title Whitehaven Borough Band. This was agreed by the band committee. This title was to last for the next 80 years.
In 1974 the government of the day changed borough boundaries culminating in Whitehaven becoming Copeland Borough, embracing the towns of Whitehaven, Cleator Moor, Egremont and Milliom. The band keeping faith with the new borough changed its title to Copeland Borough Band, gaining grant aid each year. During this period and changes in grant aiding system by the administration officers which left the band with no grants, it was decided by the present committee in 1993 that the band revert back to its roots. Hence the band became the Whitehaven Band.
As the band goes into the new millenium with 144 years of service to the town and borough. We have a very strong thriving learning class of youngsters and adults know locally as The School for Brass. The senior band boasts 31 playing members, which augers well for the success and continuity for the future