This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.
Watchet Brass, formally Watchet Town Band, has been in existence for over 115 years. We hold rehearsals twice weekly in our band room in Watchet.
Even before 1893 there was a band in Watchet. However, at this time it was a military style band with a mixture of both woodwind and brass instruments. When this original band took on the name of the Town Band they converted to a brass band by gradually phasing out the woodwind instruments.
The earliest named bandmaster was Alfred Wedlake, who spent 48 of his 52 years with the band as bandmaster, during his term of office the band practised in a side room of the Star Inn.
The band later moved to the present bandroom situated in Market Street Car Park. Although the building was in a derelict state, they carried out necessary repairs, set about raising the purchase price and finally took possession in 1952.
Tom Bulpin, the next bandmaster, led the band until 1958 when the baton passed to Fred Bishop. Fred remained at the helm until his death in 2001.
The band began contesting under Tom Bulpin and continued more positively with Fred Bishop. During the 1960s they won the area title twice thus making them eligible to compete at the National Finals at that time were held in London.
The current conductor of Watchet Brass is Mrs Di Tanner. Although the band no longer contests, we continue to provide music for many events in and around Watchet.