This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.
Verwood Concert Brass
Verwood Concert Brass was started by Mr Jesse Shearing in 1864 when it was known as "Verwood Temperance Band".
In 1929 they took part in the first Verwood Carnival and still continue the tradition today. The Band was associated with the village brickworks and from the 1920`s until 1994 were based at the TOC "H" Hut at the site of the present Band Hall in Moorland Road. Due to wise leadership in the past the freehold belongs to the current Verwood Concert Brass which gives a sound financial base to continue into the future.
The name of the band became "Verwood Prize Band" in 1930 and the present name was adopted in 1976. Once featuring in the Championship Section the current Band is working their way back up achieving promotion to the 3rd Section in 2007 and promotion to the 2nd Section in January 2009.
The band has performed at the National Brass Band Finals of Great Britain on six occasions, the last being September 2008. The band competed at the 3rd Section National finals held in Harrogate and gained a very respectable 2nd placing.