This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.
Ulverston Town Band
Ulverston Town Band has been in existence for over 150 years. The earliest documented performance of the band was from the laying of the foundation stone to commence the building of Hoad Monument in 1850. This monument is a replica of the Eddystone Lighthouse and was erected to honour Ulverston born explorer Sir John Barrow.
During World War 2 the band was absorbed into the ATC (Air Training Corps) but returned to being the Town Band shortly after the war ended.
The band had a very successful period during the 1960s and together with carrying out civic duties achieved notable success in the 2nd section under the baton of Grenville Huckerby.
Through the 70s and 80s the band, under the leadership of Richard (Dick) Foden, concentrated on concerts, civic duties and taking music into the community, which forged strong links with many local people and organisations. During this period the band also embarked on the first of several visits to Ulverston's French Twin town of Albert . We now have developed close friendships with L'Harmonie d'Albert, the Battlefield of the Somme Pipe Band and many residents of Albert.
Jeff Blenkarn took over the baton in 1992 after playing solo cornet with the band. 1996 saw the band return to the national contest scene after an absence of nearly 30 years. Success followed in 1997 when the band secured a substantial award from the Lottery, which culminated in new instruments and a total refurbishment of the 200 year old band room. At the end of 2003 Jeff stood down from conducting the band after 12 years of sterling work.
The bands new conductor Mitchell Rowlandson took over at the start of 2004.
As with most brass bands the organisation consists of people from all walks of life with ages ranging from 12 to 73. We have also developed a junior band which is helping to secure our future. We are also fortunate in receiving excellent support from Ulverston Town Council.
As in 1850 the band still plays a major role in the life of Ulverston and can regularly be heard and seen performing concerts in and around the town throughout the year and supporting the various town festivals and civic occasions.