This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.
Earliest records at Tyldesley Band show that in 1874, a drum and fife band from Strangeways Industrial School lead the way for a parade of scholars through Tyldesley. Three years later, the name of Tyldesley Good Templars Brass Band, lead by Mr Hinchcliffe, is recorded as having guided two main processions through the town; the White Walk, and to mark the opening of Tyldesley Public Baths.
In 1882, under the new name of Tyldesley Temperance Brass Band, a press report showed that the band engaged a conductor by the name of Mr Dewhurst from Clayton, Yorkshire. Between 1882 and the 1890s another name change appears, this time as the Tyldesley Wesleyan Temperance Prize Band.
Further records at Tyldesley Band state that after a brief spell as 'Tyldesley Temperance Band' in 1906 the band reverted to the name of Tyldesley Temperance Prize Band in 1906 after a dispute arose between the Wesleyan minister, the band chairman and the band members over the means of raising funds; the outcome of this quarrel saw all bandsmen resign en masse and return to their previous headquarters in Back Johnson Street. Such a move caused the minister to retain both instruments and uniforms until a guaranteed sum of £65 had been paid, which occasioned a period of considerable hardship for the band.
The advent of the First World War and its consequent conscription led to the suspension of Tyldesley Band activities from 1916 until 1919 and in the following January band members resumed activities under the name Tyldesley Subscription Prize Band. At an unknown time during the Second World War, rehearsals were once again suspended due to the high numbers of bandsmen involved in active combat. Instruments were loaned out to the American Armed Forces based at Burtonwood, near Warrington. Upon their return at the end of the war the instruments were kindly renovated and a donation of £100 was made to band funds. Tyldesley Band band was reformed as Tyldesley Prize Band.
Gaining success at the Belle Vue Spring Festival in 1953 with conductor Fred Martland, the band won the Senior Trophy contest. The next major win was at the North West Area Contest when the band qualified for the Daily Herald National Finals (Third Section) in 1960. The appointment of Brian Peacock as conductor in 1965 was closely followed by a 3rd prize in the Senior Cup contest at Belle Vue, and 1st prize in the North West 4th Section Championships. Promotion to the 3rd section was achieved and many 1st and 2nd prizes gained at local contests and the inaugural Pontins contest of 1974. Moving up to the 2nd section, the band again had great success in Wigan, Skelmersdale and Huddersfield contests with, respectively, its renditions of 'Labour and Love', 'Rhapsody on the Cornish Coast' and 'Prometheus Unbound'. It is perhaps that these years could be noted as the band's most memorable period.
Around 1983 Tyldesley Band dropped 'Prize' from their title to simply become 'Tyldesley Band', and in 1988, after gaining sponsorship from a local company, the band became Lancastrian Building Society Tyldesley Band. Darrol Barry's appointment as conductor in the same year brought with it many successes. Taking the band from the 3rd to the 1st section, Tyldesley Band had wins at the Rochdale, Pontins and Buxton contests. After a two-year sabbatical when Brian Taylor took up the baton, Darrol returned to take the now named Classic Racing Tyldesley Band to the 1st section National Finals in Brimingham. With visits to Angers, France in 1995 and 1997, Tyldesley Band represented England in the local music festival. In recent years, after reverting back to the name 'Tyldesley Band', the band played at Bruce Grobbelar's Testimonial, backing Gerry Marsden of Gerry and the Pacemakers. Tyldesley Band have also played at the France v Great Britain Rugby International in Wigan.
Under the musical direction on Steven Booth in 2002, Tyldesley Band celebrated their 125th Anniversary, with a range of events from an outdoor concert at Haigh Hall in Wigan, a band reunion dinner, and a formal concert at the Formby Hall in Atherton, with several prestigious soloists.
In 2003, former bandsman and Tyldesley local Robert Taylor returned to the band to take up the baton and has since continued to lead the band towards great successes. After a brief spell of gaining sponsorship by another local firm as 'Maxilead Metals Tyldesley Band', the band continues today as Tyldesley Band, still one of the oldest and well known brass bands in the country, where they hope to continue to be as popular and successful for many more years to come