This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.
The Band was founded in 1888 by a few enthusiasts meeting at the Tongwynlais home of a Mr. Ted Rowlands – a cornet player with the band attached to the Melingriffith works, known as the Brooker's Band. Mr. Rowlands as a conductor, aided by Mr. Albert Arnold, encouraged more interest from villagers as an alternative to the seven local public houses and taught each of them to play on a solitary cornet.
Band fever rapidly spread around the village of Tongwynlais which was also home to a thriving Temperance movement. So with numerous donations by the local gentry in Tongwynlais, Radyr, Whitchurch and Taffs Well, The Tongwynlais Temperance Silver Band was born. The late Colonel Henry Lewis of Greenmeadow kindly purchased a set of instruments and, in his role as president, with the dedicated assistance of Mr. Steve Evans, secured the immediate future of this newly formed band.
Rehearsals were held at the Tongwynlais Infants School and in the long room of the Lewis Arms public house until 1925 when the first band hall was built on Castle Road on ground donated by Col. Lewis. It was a wooden construction which was replaced in 1953 by a concrete building on adjacent ground. The third band hall grounds were provided by the builder of Castle View which passes through what was the second band hall.
Since its foundation and often against formidable odds, the band has achieved a position within the brass band fraternity of which its members and supporters can be justly proud. The activities of the band were suspended for the duration of the 1914-18 was; but struggled through the second world war despite the enlistment of some 18 of the 33 band members, by allowing ladies to play for the first time.
The best remembered conductor of the Band was the late Mr. Harold Morgan who was appointed in 1948 and who led the Band to many contest victories. Mr. Morgan, a prolific composer of Brass Band marches, dedicated one “ Belle Vue”, following the Band's success at a National Competition at Belle Vue in Manchester.
The Band then moved to Lady of Lourdes church in December 2008 with kind permission from Father Madden, the band has flourished in our new surrounding becoming Welsh League Champions in 2008, National First Section Brass Band Champions and Pontins Champions in 2009.
Under the present direction of our nationally and internationally renowned Professional Conductor Philip Harper and our resident Musical Director Andrew Jones the band have stepped up and risen to the steep challenges that have confronted with verve and excitement for the future.
The Band is in constant demand for concerts, both in Wales and throughout the UK and is committed to ensuring musical excellence, quality entertainment in the field of brass music with a traditional and unique style. The repertoire includes the full spectrum from light popular music both old and new through operatic, film and light orchestral works to the serious original brass band music performed by outstanding soloists and supported by an enviable collection of fine musicians.