This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.
Thrapston Town Band
An article in 'Temperance in Northamptonshire’ confirms 1858 as the year of formation of the band. The article describes that Mr Nathaniel Smith a Director of Smith and Grace, Iron Foundry, Midland Road was very involved in the Temperance Society, believing that keeping the workforce occupied would stop them from spending money in the public houses: “The iron works at Thrapston had a staunch teetotaller for owner (Mr Nathaniel Smith) and in 1858 his employees formed a Temperance Brass Band which did good service in the County”.
The same source also states that a tea was held on Easter Tuesday 1858 (April 6th), in Raunds and a grand procession which paraded the streets was headed by Mr N Smith’s band from Thrapston. It is likely that this was the first performance the newly formed band gave. Mr Smith’s son Nathaniel Junior was a great musician and conducted the band for many years.
The band was never sponsored by the factory in a monetary sense but was provided with accommodation for practices and storage. In 1938 they opened a new canteen that was built specifically with the band in mind with a specially designed ceiling to create the right acoustics.
Unfortunately in 1939 the band was suspended due to the 2nd World War which meant instruments, uniforms etc were all placed in storage until 1952. Mr. G R Nairns lead the band until 1970 at which point our present Musical Director, Mr Ray Jeffery took over the position of Temporary Conductor and he is still doing the job today!
For over 100 years the band practised at Smith & Grace in Midland Road. We then had a period where we had no permanent place to practice and used various locations until Thrapston Primary School was made our home. We remained at the school for several years until we made our next move in January 2006 to the Dodson & Horrell site, where we have top class facilities for the bands practice and storage.
In 2008 the band is celebrating its 150th Anniversary and plans are being made for a book to be written about the bands history. If you or anyone you know has any photographs or memorabilia relating to the band please let us know.