This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.
Ripon City Band
The first recorded details of a band in Ripon can be traced back over 150 years. In November 1860, records show that a volunteer band was formed in Ripon. This volunteer band, under the baton of Sergeant Beckwith, can be traced forward to the present date.
The band has changed its name several times over the years: Ripon City Prize Band, Ripon City Silver Band, City of Ripon Band and the present name of Ripon City Band.
On 28th June 1887, the volunteer band played in uniform for the Ripon Children's Jubilee Festival.
In 1893, it was recorded that new instruments were bought for the band at a cost of £50.18s. To replace them today would cost over £50,000!
In 1907, the Ripon City Band was presented with a silver and ebony baton by the combined Ripon Friendly Societies in recognition of its freely given help on 'Hospital Sunday'. The baton has since gone missing. If anyone can help us to trace this piece of history, please get in touch.
In 1944, the band could not muster enough players to lead St. Wilfrid's Parade and many citizens were disappointed to find that St. Wilfrid had passed because the 'nonexistent band' did not warn them that the parade was approaching.