This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.
VBS Poynton Band
The original Poynton Band first started in the early 1800's in the coal mining village of Poynton. The exact year is not known, but records show that it was thriving by 1824 and that Lady Vernon, who was involved with charity work for miners families, provided the Band with new uniforms in 1832.
Before World War II, and in the previous century, the band played at Civic events, including the May Sunday Parade and "Walking Day" (Whitsun) in June, the Poynton Show in August, Armistice Sunday and Christmas Carolling and various Church services. Notable parades since World War II have included the Queen's Coronation in 1953 and her Jubilee in 1977.
During the mid 1950's Charley Holt became Conductor. In those days, the band rehearsed on Tuesdays, Thursdays and (between October to April) on a Sunday morning. Through Charley's reign the Band improved its standard of performance to the extent that in the 1960's it graduated from the 4th Section to Championship Section. Prior to this the Band had always been a 4th Section Band.
In late 1974, Alan Lawton became Musical Director and the band won the National Regional Contest in March 1975. Alan conducted the band over several periods up to 2008. Under Alan, Poynton were a band to be beaten and won many contests, but the Band's continued graduation to the Championship Section on a number of occasions tells its own story.
In 1980 the Band staged a concert at the then Quaffers Country Club and engaged Roy Castle to perform with them. This concert helped towards the purchase, in 1981, of the Band's first home of its own, Clumber Road Methodist Church in Poynton.
The Vernon Building Society became the Band's sponsors in 1988. The Band is very proud of its association with the Stockport-based Society, which also started its life in Poynton. The sponsorship agreement provides sufficient financial support to help safeguard the continuance of the Band for the immediate future.
In May 1999, a lottery grant application was succesful and the band purchased a full set of new instruments. The old instruments were donated to two local schools, Vernon Junior School and Poynton County High School, with the aim of benefiting children and encouraging the playing of brass instruments.
The period 2002-2010 has seen good contest success with seven 'Third Prizes', three 'Second Places' and three 'First Places' across contests such as the Regionals, Buxton, Wychavon, Bolsover and Butlins. During 2007 Alan Lawton was awarded the M.B.E. for services to music then, in 2008, he handed over the baton to Kevin Gibbs who has since led the Band back to the Championship Section for 2011. Playing in the Championship Section is generally a brief affair but, given a little hard work and luck, there will be many more periods when we will compete at the top level.