This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.
Poulton-le-Fylde Band was founded on the 25th September 1874, but little is known about its early activities, except what can be gleaned from old photographs. The early photographs show the band was small in number, and only some members
are in uniform, so it would appear that funds were probably meagre. However, it did perform at local functions as can be seen from photographs showing the band marching in processions. It is to their credit that these early members kept the band together, and it appears from documentation discovered, that the band was still operational prior to World War Two, under their conductor Mr N Hodgson.
During World War Two, the band functioned as `The Home Guard Band` under the musical direction of Mr Ernest Seed, but it was disbanded sometime between 1945 & 1951.
A letter from Mr J Greenwood, Chief Financial Officer for Poulton-le-Fylde Urban District Council, dated 26th February 1951, details efforts being made to reform the band, and enquires about the whereabouts of the instruments. A letter in reply from Mr Seed shows that the former members, and Thornton Band, had acted as Trustees for the instruments, and these were located and the band reformed.
During the period that follows, the band concerts in St.Chads Church Hall, (as they still do today), played at local galas, and entered competitions both locally, at the Tower Circus Blackpool, and further afield, one venue being Barnoldswick.
In April 1965, Poulton Band won the North West Area Qualifying Contest under their conductor Mr Cyril Carter, and competed in the finals in London in October 1965 and 1966, gaining second prize in the fourth section against bands from all other regions in 1965.
During the late 1960`s and early 1970`s, the band moved up to the second section under the musical expertise of Mr Glyn T Lloyd, and competed in several competitions, regularly being placed in the top four results. This successful period was continued by Mr M Antrobus and Mr S Eccles, who gained the band a fourth prize in the second section of the finals in London. Mr I Whittaker subsequently conducted the band and helped to maintain the high standard and success established by Mr Lloyd and Mr Antrobus.
The band holds certificates for competing in the W.D. & H.O. Wills Brass Band Championships in 1970-1971, and were one of the competing bands at the last contest on the 14th February 1982, to be held at The Kings Hall Belle Vue.
On February 9th 1977, they competed in the North West Area Brass Band Association Annual Championships at the Guild Hall Preston, and in March 1977, competed in the Boosey & Hawkes North West Regional Championships at the Winter Gardens, Blackpool. On the 5th October 1997, Poulton gained fifth place in the second section under their present conductor, Mr Brian Harper, at the North West Area Contest, held at the Marine Hall, Fleetwood. So, after one hundred and three years in existence, the band continues to perform, and gain success, thanks to the dedicated efforts of its present M.D., Brian Harper, and the loyalty and commitment of its present members.