This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.
Oughtibridge Brass Band
The Village of Oughtibridge has supported some sort of music making group for well over one hundred years. It is believed to have been started as a drum and fife band when six benefactors joined together and raised the money for instruments, music and other equipment: Around 1890, six well known local residents each put twenty-five pounds into the kitty and with the one hundred and fifty pounds, bought instruments and equipment.
The Band, throughout its history, has supported local events such as Church Parades, Galas, Carol Concerts etc. as well as taking the Village name far and wide with their tours and engagements.
For over a century, very few events have taken place in the area without the village band being involved, and for many years it has been a mainstay of village life. In the early years when little transport existed, the band played mainly at local events, as an engagement at Grenoside or Stocksbridge entailed a long walk carrying heavy instruments.
Formed as a Brass Band in 1890, it has from its early days always been a competing band engaged in local and national brass band contests in its section. In the 1960-79 period the Band won 23 trophies in various contests. In more recent times the Band have appeared in London in the National Championships on three occasions between 1980 and 1990. The Band is currently in the third section and has moved between the fourth and second sections over the last ten years. In the recent 2000 Yorkshire Area Contest, the Band finished second, qualifying for the finals in London and also securing promotion to the third section. In 2002 they also finished 2nd in the third section, qualifying for the finals in Torquay.
The band has seen several changes to its name. At one time it was known as the Don Valley Brass Band and later became the Oughtibridge and District Silver Prize Band until it took its present name of Oughtibridge Band.
The present Band room was originally a G.P.O. Telephone exchange housing electro-mechanical switching equipment. The building was erected in 1939 on Station Lane, Oughtibridge. In 1969 the building was vacated and a new telephone exchange was built further up Station Lane. In 1964, after a period of renting the building from the G.P.O. it was purchased for the Band in the name of six trustees with money from Band fund. The original building is still in use today!