This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.
North Skelton Band
Like many East Cleveland villages, North Skelton was a pit village. The local mine produced iron stone for the iron and steel production process on Teesside and like many other pit villages had a Brass Band. North Skeltons' band was paid for by miners' contributions of 1 penny per week. The Band existed from the mid 1800's until the 1950's when mine closures throughout the area saw many Bands disappear.
In 1969 a band was reformed in the village by Mr. Ken Robinson. They occupied the original band room at the rear of William Street. The band was named the North Skelton and District Silver Band to reflect the fact that players were drawn from the surrounding areas. The Band grew in strength, progressing quickly through the sections winning many competitions locally and nationally to become a top section band. The Band had a thriving junior band under the leadership of Nigel Barnes. It's purpose was to provide players of suitable quality for the senior band.
The junior band became a success in its' own right and in 1983 became known as North Skelton Concert Band. In it's early years the band competed in local music festivals. Because of this success it was decided to form a competition band and the band was registered with the British Brass Band Registry in the Fourth Section. The Band became Fourth section Champion Band of Great Britain in 1975.
As a small village North Skelton now boasted two successful competing Brass Bands. Both bands went from strength to strength. In 1990 the Concert Band separated from North Skelton band and became known as Langbaurgh Brass. By this time North Skelton Band had changed it's name to reflect sponsorship by the British Steel Corporation. That sponsorship later ceased and that band stopped competing in 2000.
Langbaurgh Brass subsequently moved from their band room behind the Village Hall back into the original North Skelton Band band room. Although externally reclad and internally refurbished, this building goes back to the mining days of the village. Langbaurgh Brass decided to reform as North Skelton Band from October 1st 2008. This decision also coincides with the return of our former musical director Tim Oldroyd. Tim was with the band for many years and contributed towards it's past success.
The 'new' North Skelton Band competed in Section B at the Durham League in November 2008, winning First Prize.
To celebrate the reformation as North Skelton a reunion concert was held in February 2009 at Skelton Church. We were very pleased to welcome a number of former players who joined together with the current band to play some of the old and new favourites. The Band are now looking forward to new concerts and contest challenges.