This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.
Although we don't know the exact date of the band's formation, its history can be traced back to the late 19th century. Around 1860 it was known as St John's Church Band.
Over the decades, the standard of the band rose through the official grading until championship status was achieved in 1971, following the Band's success in being crowned Area & National Second Section champions.
During the early seventies, Newhall Band went through its most successful period under Musical Director Ernest Woodhouse, culminating in several appearances at the finals of the National Championships at the Royal Albert Hall.
During the 1970s and 1980s, the band retained its championship status and was also successful in gaining sponsorship from Burton Constructional Engineering, Webb Ivory Ltd and Prominent Fluid Controls (UK) Ltd.
During the 1990s the band entered a difficult time of economic depression, a lack of finance and a reduction in playing strength. It moved out of the town of Newhall to Burton upon Trent.
In 1994 it was decided, with the help of a local headmaster, to once more set up a base in the town of Newhall.
The band is building a reputation as one of the most entertaining concert bands in Derbyshire, and is looking to the future by running a successful junior band, several of whose members have recently been signed up to the senior band.
The band's current musical director, Kevin Holdgate, was appointed in March 2008