Archived Histories of Brass Bands 
    
 
Bands Directory   |   Events   |   Products & Services   |   People   |   Organisations   |   Reference   |   About IBEW   |   Contact
 


This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.



Murton Colliery Band

Murton Colliery Band was formed on 19th April 1884 as the Murton Gospel Temperance Blue Ribbon Army Band. Members were asked to wear a blue ribbon on the second button of their waistcoats.

In 1895 the band became Murton Colliery band, and thereafter while Murton Colliery was in existence, the band had a great deal of support from the colliery. In 1943, when the band reformed after a brief break of about 3 years during wartime, each miner had a small amount deducted from their wages to help pay for the bands upkeep, and practice facilities were provided in a disused school building, and later in the Miners' Welfare Hall. When the colliery closed, the band became self-supporting, a situation which continues to the present day.

The band is very proud of its roots and is one of the few remaining bands to retain the title 'Colliery Band'. They also still march proudly through the village on occasions such as Durham Miners Gala and Armistice Day, a situation we hope will continue for many years to come.