This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.
Mildura District Brass Band
The first reference to brass banding in Mildura appeared in THE CULTIVATOR on March 14, 1890, where an advertisement appeared inviting people interested in the formation of a brass band to attend a meeting in the Deakin Avenue Hall on Monday, April 21st.
The result of this meeting was the formation of the Mildura Brass Band and the first appearance in public occurred in June 1890 with a musical presentation that entertained the patrons of a dramatic performance as they entered the Langtree Avenue Hall.
From this historic beginning, brass banding has been a continuous presence in Mildura, doing what brass bands do for the entertainment of the community and marking official occasions with appropriate musical input.
Other bands were formed in the early days of the developing Sunraysia area: the Methodist Church Brass Band, 1906; Salvation Army Band, 1906; Stubbs Band, 1907; Irymple Brass Band, 1907; Merbein Brass Band, 1918; Red Cliffs Brass Band, 1925; Sunraysia District Band, 1929.
In 1909, the Stubbs Band and the Irymple Brass Band combined to form the first Mildura District Brass Band.(MDBB)
Over the years, the MDBB title experienced a number of changes - Mildura Brass Band, 1890; Mildura District Brass Band, 1909; Mildura Municipal Band, circa 1930; Mildura City Band, 1934; 7th Battalion Band - The North West Murray Borderers, 1937; Mildura District Brass Band, since 1945