This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.
Liskeard Silver Band
The Liskeard Silver Band has its roots going back over 100 years.
It was in 1886 that one of the first bands in Liskeard, the Greenbank Band, was formed from members of the Sunday School. The conductor was Mr J Mitchell. In nearly all cases the bandsmen brought their own instruments.
After some years this band gave up and a new one, called Liskeard Borough Band was formed under Mr C Penny.
In about 1901, the Liskeard Temperance Band came into being, which continued until about 1914 when war broke out. Some of the members, together with a few of an old Volunteer Band, decided to carry on for the duration under Mr T Edmonds.
When the Liskeard Silver Band was named and formed in 1920 it became an immediate success and entered various contests. The first was at Fraddon under the direction of Mr R T Honey. The Band obtained third place in competition with such bands as Camborne and St Dennis. They also competed at Camborne, Bugle, Wadebridge and Plymouth, and at Stenalees in 1928 when MrT Priest, an ex-Band Sergeant of the Devon and Cornwall Light Infantry, was bandmaster. The band engaged a professional trainer, Mr E F Woodhead, and carried off first prize, competing against 16 other bands and obtaining 94 marks out a possible 100. They also took the 'Richards' Cup and a 'Special' for the best player in the section, won by Mr L Colmer (cornet).
Mr T Priest continued until 1929 when Mr G F Strand became bandmaster. Mr Priest took over again in 1935.
During Mr A C Repper's term as bandmaster (December 1937 to 1954) the band won two prizes at Exeter in the West of England Championships. In 1946 they won fourth prize in the third section, and in 1947, under Mr C H Baker of St Austell, who took over while Mr Repper was indisposed, they gained third prize
Since 1954 bandmasters have changed more frequently:
* Mr Priest 1954-56
* Mr GW Humphrey 1956-59
* Mr D Olver 1959-61
* Mr T Priest 1961-65
* Mr Harry Edgecombe 1965-7?
* Mr Bernard Sutton
* Mr Vivian Wills
* Mr Steven Pucky
* Mr Don Howlett 1993 - 2001
* Mrs Tessa Lewis 2001 - 2004
* Mr Malcolm Blamire 2005 - 2007
* Mrs Tessa Lewis 2007 - 2009
* Mr Gerard Morgan 2009 - Present
* Mr P P Cowling was a playing member of the band for 41 years (1937 - 1978) and general secretary for 50 years (1948 - 1998). He retired in 1998 after 61 years association with the band.