This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.
King's Lynn Town Band
The earliest band in King's Lynn was the Town Waits, employed by the Corporation. First mentioned in 1362-63, the ensemble existed until the mid-eighteenth century. During the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, small wind bands formed part of the various military volunteer companies in the town.
There have been brass bands in King's Lynn since the 1830s. The first two amateur bands were the aptly-named Lynn Original Brass Band (pre 1837 - 1853) and the Lynn Saxhorn Band (1853 -1866). In the second half of the nineteenth century, the two principal bands were the Rifle Volunteer Corps Band (1860-1908) and the Police Band (1881-1908). From the 1880s until the present day, about twenty bands have existed at various times in the town.
King's Lynn Town Band was formed in 1894 by former bandsmen of the Rifle Volunteer Corps. Originally a brass-and-reed band, it became a brass band by 1903. Although the band performed mainly on bandstands and at fetes, reputedly it won its first band contest within a few months of its formation. In the 1930s, the band engaged a professional music coach and it was soon winning prizes at the national brass band contests held at the Crystal Palace in London.
The band became the Champion Brass Band of East Anglia for the first time in 1954 and won the title several times over the following decades. It has also appeared on radio and television. In recent years, the band has made a number of trips to King's Lynn's twin town, Emmerich-am-Rhein, in Germany, fraternising with the Blasorchester Praest; and the German band has visited England.