This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.
The band was founded in 1916 by Mr Ernest & Percy Woollham. Ernest played the cornet and Percy the euphonium. As a number of keen players joined them they became known as Ifton Brass Band and rehearsed at Ernest's home at the Malt House.
The Bands first public appearance was in 1917 for the Co-op Sports in the field by the Chapel in St Martins. Their first uniform was obtained four years later in 1921.
In 1959 Ifton Brass Band changed its name to Ifton Colliery Silver Band.
To coincide with the move to Oswestry the name changed to 'Ifton Band, Oswestry' and began an association with Richard Burbidge Ltd. which lasts to this day.
Over the years the band has had many successes becoming Pontin's National 2nd Section Champions, Norton Midlands Area 2nd Section Champions and a National Finalist in London in 1993, and were the North Wales 2nd Section Champions two years running 1993/94 and 1994/95.
Ifton Band, Oswestry is self-supporting with just the help of the local area, and contrary to belief, the band is not maintained by any organisation or works.
This history is not meant as, and cannot be an acurate document so we would be very grateful to receive articles, letters, photos and so on from old members or anyone who has information about the band that we can include in this page.
For example, there is reference to a Band Recording made in Blackpool Oct 1968- owner Mr C Morris. Does anyone know if it still exists? Can anyone throw any light on this?