This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.
Golborne Brass Band
The Golborne Brass Band is one of the oldest 'village' Bands in the country, which was originally formed in 1867. We have a photograph in the 1880's of the founder band.
In 1914 the Band ceased to exist because of the First World War and was not in the position to reform until 1922 at which time the name changed to 'Golborne Public Subscription Band'.
James Mort reformed the band in 1950, which had been disbanded due to the 2nd World War. The Band won its first prize at Rhyl contest in 1955. Many prizes followed under the guidance of James, so the band changed its name in to 'Golborne Prize Band'. After his death in 1965, Joe Houlton took over the baton and success continued in the 3rd and 4th sections of the movement. During this time most of the pubs in Golborne housed the band.
In 1984, we bought our first Bandroom. The band then had a permanent and this lead to even greater success. The band was promoted to the 2nd section in 1986 and won prizes in this division under the baton of Geoff Williams.
In 1990 the band toured Holland and in 1994 toured France.
Unfortunately the Bandroom was condemned in 2002 and the band moved into the Church Lane Community Centre on Church Lane, Lowton.
The band lost some 8 players in 2003 but has come through this turmoil. We have turned the corner and are looking forward to further success.