Archived Histories of Brass Bands 
    
 
Bands Directory   |   Events   |   Products & Services   |   People   |   Organisations   |   Reference   |   About IBEW   |   Contact
 


This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.



Flixton Band

Originally formed in 1877, the Flixton Volunteer Band was the result of the formation of the Flixton 1st Volunteer Battalion, Manchester Regiment. (This was the Territorial Army of the period.) The services of the band were in much demand and it gradually became known locally as the Flixton Volunteers Band. The band was on duty to play when the Manchester Ship Canal was opened by Queen Victoria in 1894. The band became an important fixture within the local community, performing at church events, cricket matches, garden parties, flower shows, and other local events. In 1908, with the termination of the Volunteers, the band became known as the Flixton Brass Band. The depression of the 1930's took it's toll, and in 1933, with many players leaving the area to find work, and people not having enough spare time, the band disbanded. Some of the instruments were held in trust in the hope that the band would be reformed at a future date.

The band re-formed in 1967, when it became known as the Flixton Silver Band, and was granted permission to use the Urmston coat of arms on band uniforms and stationery. Since then, the band has broadcast on radio and television, and taken part in events locally, nationally, and internationally.

In 1981, the band travelled to West Germany, (as it was) and over a period of one week, gave a number of well received concerts. At the end of 1988 a major re-organisation took place in the band. A number of new players joined with the same objective, which was to build the band into a highly successful organisation. It was decided to remove the word Silver from the band's name, thus becoming known as the Flixton Band.

Owing to the experience of many of the new members, the band was automatically upgraded from the fourth, to the third section.Since the band resumed competing at contests at the end of 1989, it has achieved a formidable list of successes. Some of the more notable results are :- Pontin's Regional third section champions 1990 & 1991. Third place in the Pontin's third section final 1990, and in 1991 the band became the Pontin's third section champions. In 1990 & 1991, the band represented the North West region in the third section of the National Championships of Great Britain, after being runners up at the regional contest in 1990, and champions in 1991. In January 1992, the band was promoted to the National second section, and at the area championships, was placed second. Due to this result the band again represented the region at the National Championships Final, where it was were runner up.

The band are currently competing nationally in the third section, and Second section standard for all contests in the North West Counties area. In 1994, the band won the Championship section of the Fleetwood contest. In June 1993, the band travelled to Denmark for a week long concert tour. Whilst in Denmark, the band performed at a number of venues, including the World famous Tivoli Gardens.In March 1998, the band was runner up in the regional championships, and again represented the North West Region at the National Finals, held in September 1998. The band was awarded a 50574 National Lottery Grant during 1998, towards the cost of purchasing new instruments and equipment. In 1999, the Flixton Band were awarded 2nd prize at the prestigious Milton Keynes Entertainment Contest. During 2000, Flixton Band was again prize-winners at the regional Championships, but narrowly missed out on representing the region at the National Finals.

At the end of 2001, due to the help of Trafford Council, Flixton Band moved into a new bandroom. The Old Library, Flixton, is now firmly established, as the home of this historic band.

The Flixton Band is currently a subscription band, and does not have the luxury of any sponsorship. The band is supported entirely through members' weekly subscriptons, engagement fees and prize money. Potential sponsors of the band are always welcome.