This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.
Faversham Mission Brass
Approx. 1882 - A handful of musicians got together as a Christian Witness to the town of Faversham. These musicians became the founding members of Faversham Gospel Mission based in Tanners Street, the building being erected during 1888.
1887 - An early instrument problem can be noted as in the Band Minutes of that year it states that the Bandmaster was asked to teach young men music, but without instruments!
1900 - The Band took part in many parades and an Easter Sunday march was arranged for 6.30 a.m.
1901 - A Mrs. Russell was collecting money for new instruments. Some of the old instruments were sold for 4/6d and a new model instrument was purchased for £2!
1902 - It is noted that learners paid 3d a week for training until 10/- was paid and that the Town Crier did the Band advertising.
1913 - This was the earliest year mentioned that the Band played in the town carnival.
1915 - The Band started giving concerts, one of which was for soldiers in the war held in the Weslyan Chapel and another in the Queen's Hall.
1921 - It is noted that the Band be allowed to play for charity but not for political parades.
1923 - Earliest mention of the Band taking part in contests.
1934 - The Band purchased the instruments of the disbanded 'Powder Cotton Works Band' at £15 for the lot!
1940 - The popular Bandstand services held in the Recreation Ground were discontinued owing to the national crisis but were re-commenced in 1951.
1946 - Women admitted to the Band for the first time!
1957 - The Band entered the 4th Section Contest at Tunbridge Wells and won first prize gaining 155 out of a possible 200 points.
May 1962 - The Band, under its bandmaster, Mr. G. Seggery, won the Wilmshurst Challenge Cup and a prize of £10 in the Royal Tunbridge Wells Band Federation's annual contest.
May 1978 - After months of fund-raising, the Band was able to purchase a new set of instruments. The instruments were presented at a concert in the Alexander Centre by Mayor of Faversham, Brian Wise, and Dennis Motley, chairman of the Band's fund-raising committee. A certificate of thanks was also presented to Gwyn Williams, conductor, for his services to the Band and for his help with the fund-raising efforts.
1980 - The Band made its first (and so far only) LP!
October 1982 - The band took part in an eight hour sponsored blow-in to raise money for their own funds and the Gospel Mission lease fund.
Early 1983 - The Band purchased a new set of uniforms. These were in use until 2006.
July 2004 - The Band purchased a set of polo shirts with its logo as an alternative to the more formal uniform.
March 2007 - The Band purchased a new set of uniforms which were unveiled at the first concert of the season. A special mention goes to Slater Menswear for its excellent value and service.
August 2007 - The Band finally replaced the music stand banners that had been used since the 1970s.
November 2008 - A set of quality fleeces was purchased for outside engagements during the winter months complete with logo and back embroidery.