Archived Histories of Brass Bands 
    
 
Bands Directory   |   Events   |   Products & Services   |   People   |   Organisations   |   Reference   |   About IBEW   |   Contact
 


This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.



East Ham Borough Band

By no stretch of the imagination can Newham or East London be considered a hotbed of Brass Banding but until a few years ago Newham was home to a Brass Band that achieved very high standards. The Grangewood Silver Band was formed in the early 20Th centurychanged it's name to East Ham Silver Band in 1946. At that time in rehearsed in the East ham Technical College and again changed it's name in the 1950's to East Ham Borough Band.

By 1958 the band was taking part in the National Brass Band Championships alongside the famous bands from the North such as Grimethorpe Colliery. Faireys and Black Dyke and finished in the top 6 on two occasions. The leader of the Band around this time was Cyril Suckling who continued to leas the band until around 1970. Cyril was a former Salvationist who was a "local" man with his parents living in Caulfield or Caledon Road. Since Cyril relinquished the leadership the band have had a number of different leaders/conductors including another former Salvationist, Ray Farr, who came from the Hereford area.

After the formation of "Newham" in 1965 the Band was known as the Newham (East Ham) Band for a few years until the East Ham link was dropped. It the became the Newham Band until 1995 when it amalgamated with the Aveley Band. Today the band is directed By Nigel Taken and is known as The Aveley and Newham Band. It continues to maintain a good standard but it would appear that there are now few links with Newham apart from the name.