This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.
Ellenbrook and Boothstown Band
The band was formed in 1875 by Mr Ebeneezer Higham and his brother Ben, with the help from the rev. A.E Sillitoe, the curate of the church of St. Mary the Virgin, Ellenbrook. The first rehearsal took place in the church school room on April 6th 1875, the band`s first public performance was in June that year at the Boothstown School Festival.
Ebeneezer was the conductor for most events for more than 50 years. When he died in May 1933 the band headed the funeral procession to Worsley Parish Church.
During 1937 the band took part in a radio broadcast of the remembrance day service from Manchester and over the years had competed in many competitions. During the war banding was quiet, but resumed in 1946.
However, between 1946 and 1949 the Church school room at Ellenbrook was demolished and the band was then adopted by the Local British Legion. This home did not last long , for in 1965 the old British Legion was demolished and the band moved to the upstairs of the King William in Mosley Common. A year later they moved again to the church institute, before moving to their present home in the Methodist church in 1985. As the years went by the band progressed and once again a change in home took place as the methodist church was rebuilt and moved once again to the british legion untill the rebuilt church was ready in 2009. In past years the Ellenbrook & Boothstown Band has encouraged youngsters and played a great deal in helping their progression, the band helped to form the Astley Youth Band which at present day has a strong 50 members in its ranks.