Archived Histories of Brass Bands 
    
 
Bands Directory   |   Events   |   Products & Services   |   People   |   Organisations   |   Reference   |   About IBEW   |   Contact
 


This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.



Desford Colliery Brass Band

The Desford Colliery Band is considered one of the finest exponents of the brass medium. Its wide range of styles and flexibility of performance has bought it world-wide fame. This British Band comprises of twenty-five brass musicians with percussion and performs a repertoire spanning Baroque to Jazz, its soloists some of the finest you will hear.

Founded in 1898 the band has a colourful and interesting history. In 1912 the band engaged its first professional musical director Mr Albert Lawson, who made the twice- weekly trip to their rehearsal base in Leicester by horse and trap. The band steadily flourished until the outbreak of the First World War in 1914 when the musicians were sent to the trenches. They regrouped at the end of the war to win a host of gold medals and become the most successful band in the Midlands. The Second World War again called a halt to their activities. When the band reformed they were faced with an urgent need to replace dilapidated instruments and in 1956 the band was assisted by the Coal Industry Social Welfare Organisation. Because of this and the fact that at the time the majority of musicians were miners, the band was renamed the Desford Colliery Band. Progress continued under various conductors and to date the band has enjoyed legendary success winning no less that thirty-five championship titles.