This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.
Daventry Band originated in the 19th century, and is thought to have been started as a Fife and Drum Band. Around 1881 the name changed to The Daventry Working Man's Band. In 1927, the band bought its first uniforms for a cost of £100!! After the end of World War II Daventry and District Silver Band, was formed by the amalgamation of Daventry Town, Long Buckby Town and Long Buckby Temperance Bands. The band in the early fifties practiced in rooms over a bank in the high street. These being totally inadequate, the first tote in the town was formed and from the proceeds the existing purpose built hall was constructed. The band name has changed to Danetre Brass and, following an embarrassing name announcement at the nationals in 1999, the band and committee decided to change to, our current name, Daventry Brass.
The Band has had some notable Band Masters and Conductors. The current bands owes its very existence to the hard work, dedication and motivation that was given by Les Clare and the then music teacher at the Old Secondary Modern School, Arthur Jolly. This was continued with many contesting successes between 1965 and 1968, under the directorship of the late Bert Sullivan, the famous Euphonium player, thus enabling promotion into the third Section.
Major achievements came under the influence and directorship of John Frith in the late Seventies. In 1977 and 1979 the band went to London for the National finals and beat Stourport on Severn Band to win the Jones and Crossland Trophy in the Grand final of "Birmingham Brass 1979". The band progressed from the third section into the second section, ultimately being one of the top three bands. The intervening years have been spent endeavoring to maintain standards and consolidate the band membership. To a certain extent this has been achieved, though we are back in the third section. In March 2003 Daventry become regional champions of the 3rd Sections and represented the Midlands at September's Finals in Dundee. This is the first time the band has won it's Regional, in any section, and the 4th time that the band has qualifed for the Finals. The years where 1968, 1979, 1989.
Our previous musical director was Paul Northey, from Rugby, who actively encouraged a wide repertoire of music, from fifteenth century dances to film themes to folk songs; marches and selections from musicals; music written from brass bands, for orchestra, and for pop groups.