This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.
Crofton Silver Band
Brass Banding has had a home in Crofton since December 1873, with the earliest recorded concert by Crofton Band taking place at the re-opening of Crofton Parish Church after major restoration work in 1875.
The band has led somewhat of a nomadic existence, with the band being based at an outbuilding behind the Cock and Crown Public House on Doncaster Road. After the First World War the band moved to a small rented building within Crofton Village, Joe Castle a local businessman providing the building for a nominal fee. Crofton Band added Silver to its name in 1936 when the band took delivery of a set of new silver plated instruments. The band stayed in these premises until 1937, with Crofton Working Men's Club providing a temporary home before moving to the Royal Oak Public House before the Second World War.
After the war the band reformed to perform in the armistice celebrations with what instruments they could salvage after many were damaged during the bands enforced eviction from the band room after the army commandeered it during the conflict, many instruments went missing during this period. The band struggled for members for the years following after the war and was fully resurrected in 1947 by Mr. Hollingsworth. The band enjoyed a prolonged period in one place continuing to practice at the Royal Oak until 1974; financially however the band was less stable. In 1953 the bands were chronically short of funds and several instruments needed replacing, the band approached Nostell Colliery for assistance, the band received funding from the Coal Industry Social and Welfare Organisation (CISWO) and subsequently changed its name to the Nostell Colliery Band.
A change of landlords at the Royal Oak forced the band to move from the pub function room moving back into the Crofton Working Men's Club where it stayed for the next twenty years. In 1993 the band name reverted back to Crofton Silver band. The band again moved back into the Royal Oak in 1995 and due to the success of the organisation a junior band was formed by members of the senior band. The formation of the Junior Band has been a significantly successful step in the development of the organisation with several of the current players progressing from the junior band to prominent seats within the senior band.
After a spell in the Station Pub in Sharlston the band moved to its current home at the Church of the Resurrection in Fitzwilliam.