Archived Histories of Brass Bands 
    
 
Bands Directory   |   Events   |   Products & Services   |   People   |   Organisations   |   Reference   |   About IBEW   |   Contact
 


This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.



Crediton Town Band

There has been a town band in Crediton since 1867 but in these early years its fortunes were somewhat sporadic. Although the band experienced a great revival in the 1930s, when it became the tradition for the band to play at the April Great Market when drovers brought their cattle into the High Street for sale, it lapsed again in 1953.

Thirty years later in 1983 a community play was held in Crediton requiring a small marching band. Eight players were found and after the play they decided to continue as a group and in March 1984 the first inaugural meeting to revive the band took place. Appeals to local clubs and business people for interest free loans enabled some second-hand instruments to be purchased. Other instruments were borrowed from local bands and music obtained in a similar way.

The first public appearance of the band "Crediton Community Brass" was at the Crediton Carnival in 1984, supported by clubs, businesses and an interest-free loan from the town council. In 1985 the band performed at a joint concert with the Crediton Operatic Society and it was at this event that a set of uniforms was worn for the first time. At the beginning of 2005 it was decided that the uniform needed to be changed and updated for which a new colour scheme for the jackets was decided upon. We decided to adopt the Crediton Town colours of black and gold.