This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.
Clydebank Burgh Band
The Clydebank Burgh Band traces its origins to the Spinners Band that was established in Duntocher circa 1829. In the mid-1870's this band became the Duntocher Brass Band and is still in existence to this day. When the Singer sewing machine factory was built on a green field site in Kilbowie, between 1882 & 1884 many new workers came to the factory. Amongst them were people who had played with a Brass band in their home area so they joined the Duntocher band. Ultimately the majority of members were from Clydebank & Radnor Park.
When, later, Singer offered the men free practice premises in the Kilbowie dining hall of the factory, the Clydebank members brought with them the instruments from the Duntocher Band. It took a court action to decide that the instruments did indeed belong to Duntocher, whereupon they had to be handed back. The Clydebank men were then left with rehearsal premises but no instruments!! A public meeting was held in Clydebank in which an appeal was made. The result of which was that friends, supporters and a number of " Influential Gentlemen " were formed into a committee. By dint of hard work the money for a complete set of new instruments was raised and in 1891 the Clydebank Brass Band was born.
In the first 6 years of it's existence, the Singer Company were good friends of the band and the Company employed all the members. During this time, the band met for 3 evening rehearsals a week and had extra rehearsals at lunchtime if they were preparing for special events. In 1895 the Scottish Amateur Brass band Association was formed, and at the first contest they arranged, Clydebank were placed 2nd. They won the S.A.B.A. Championship 7 times between 1896 & 1910.
The Shipbuilding and other industries on the River Clyde were expanding, as was the town of Clydebank, and the changes in band personnel reflected the changing scene as Singers employed fewer members. In 1906, the band had discussions with the council and became the Clydebank Burgh Band. In return for financial support, the band played at numerous civic arrangements for the council.
In the late 1920's McAlpine the builders built a rehearsal hall and presented it to the band. It was sited near to the entrance of the Singer factory.
In 1941, during the " Clydebank Blitz ", the band lost the band hall, a lot of equipment and all the library of music. The famous Black Dyke Mills Band helped replace some of the library and the band was able to carry on.
Clydebank was the 1st Scottish band to make a radio broadcast.
In the 1970's, the 1st female member appeared in the band, breaking what had previously been an all-male preserve. Now, of course, there are quite a few female band members.
With the change of local Government in 1989 the Clydebank Burgh Council became the Clydebank District Council. At the request of the Council the band changed its name to the Clydebank District Band. In return the band received a new set uniforms complete with armorial bearings. In May, 1995, at the last change in Local Government, Clydebank and parts of Dumbarton were combined to become the West Dunbartonshire Council. The band members then decided to revert to the band's old title, and once again became the Clydebank Burgh Band.
In recent years the band had, unfortunately, suffered a decline in membership. However, in September 1994 a Youth Band was started, so that it could become a feeder to the Senior band. This is now beginning to bear fruit