This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.
City Of Lincoln Band
The present Lincoln Band is the continuation of the once well known Lincoln Malleable Iron works band which was formed in 1893. The works at that time was in Lincoln on the site of the present City Bus Garage. The band made rapid progress under the guidance of the late Mr J. Butler m manager, and Mr Ellerby Cox who took over as Bandmaster in 1895, and he continued until shortly before his death in 1947. The band had many successes, probably the best being in 1920 when they were awarded second prize at Crystal Palace in the Championship Section. The certificate is still held in high esteem by the present Band.
As the years rolled by and the works left Lincoln, and the management changed, the board of directors decided to withdrawn sponsorship and sever connections with the band. A band Genera] Meeting was called and the members decided to try to continue as a public subscription band. The works agreed to sell the whole band property to the band members, and Mr Ellerby Cox was elected chairman of a trustee committee. They were successful in raising the money to take the band over in 1936. With the coming of war in 1939, the band lost many members, and many of the senior members were getting to retirement age. The band almost had to disband completely, but the remaining younger members did their best until after the war with only a few players, and very low funds. Things seemed hopeless. Ellerby Cox died in September 1947, and his brother, Albert carried on as Bandmaster for a short while until his death in December 1947. A meeting was held and Mr Ellerby Cox, son of Albert Cox, was voted as temporary Bandmaster until funds could be found to engage a more experienced man. The band decided to play at Lincoln City Football ground to raise funds, and success began to return, until the band were unable to find accommodation or a Headquarters. Many of the senior members lost heart and Mr Cox decided to keep the band alive by teaching youngsters. This was successful, and many present day Bandsmen owe their first lessons and future success to his efforts. The band started to improve, and a number of contests were attempted to gain experience.
In 1966, the Lincoln City Council began to take an interest in the band by allowing us to use a disused chapel as a band headquarters. However, as time went on this had to be pulled down due to development in the city. Things seemed hopeless again, but a very dear friend, the late Alderman Mrs M. Sookias, came forward and helped to find a good and permanent headquarters at the Racecourse, Grandstand. Through her efforts we were able to go forward and reach the standard we are today. We now have a membership of 27 who attend rehearsals and engagements regularly. We have recently bought a new uniform at a cost of £900, and overhauled and bought new instruments at a cost of almost £1000. Mr Cox is still the volunteer Bandmaster, and is engaged as a Peripatetic teacher with the local education authority. By this, a steady flow of young and enthusiastic members are coming to the band. The band are engaged regularly now in the city and surrounding area, and have achieved some success at contests. Perhaps the best was third prize at Belle Vue Manchester in 1974.
The Lincoln City Council are now solidly behind the band, and the mayor of the city is president. So after all the years of hard work and disappointment, at last the city is proud of the Lincoln Band. Signed E. Cox.
Further to this account by Ellerby Cox, an undated cutting from the Lincolnshire Echo gives added information on the withdrawal of sponsorship and the ensuing problems. The article was written by Ellerby as a tribute to the late Mr W.S. Maclean, and reads: "...Mr Ellerby Cox, Conductor and Secretary of the Lincoln Borough Band (formerly the Malleable Ironworks Band) writes to tell of the day Mr Maclean "bought the band". The Malleable Ironworks, says Mr Cox, announced one day that they had no further use for the band, and would withdraw sponsorship. However, the players, loath to see it disappear, decided to try to carry on with what help they could get from the general public. In those days, money was very scarce, and the future of the band was gloomy until Mr Cox's Father (Albert) called on "Ozzie" Jones, the vicar of St. Mark's Church, whose advice was "go and see Billy Maclean," (well known Dentist of Tentercroft Street). The advice was accepted, and Mr Maclean loaned the money to help the band to carry on. "I shall always remember his kind and generous manner" adds Mr Cox.
The article continues - In recent years, it seems the Borough band has lost other good friends in addition to Mr Maclean, - Canon Jones himself, Alderman George Flintham of Metheringham and Col. T.W. Pitcher of Lincoln, all of whom had given much appreciated help. Another later reference is to Coun. Mrs Mary Sookias, who took an interest in the band when the practice room in Coultham Street was demolished (presumably for the building of Pelham Bridge), and the local Council could offer no accommodation. Mrs Sookias arranged for the band to practice in the local Astronomical Society's Observatory in Westcliffe Street. As previously mentioned in Ellerby's text, Mrs Sookias was also responsible for finding the next band Headquarters, this time at the Carholme Racecourse Grandstand. Due to Redevelopment, the band had to move out of the grandstand in 1979, and took refuge in a band room at Sabraon Barracks on Button Road where they rehearse to this day, thanks to tenancy by Lincoln City Council.
The Cox Family
Having lost sponsorship support from Lincoln Malleable Ironworks, the name of the band changed to Lincoln Borough Silver Prize Band. Ellerby Cox carried on as Bandmaster, and his brother Albert. one of the city's finest brass players played Euphonium. As well as playing, Albert was one of the founders of the Ransome and Mules Band at Newark in 1937, and was indeed their first conductor. He also started the Lincoln City Band in the early twenties, and spent quite a lot of time conducting that band. It must be remembered that in the early twenties there would be no television and little or no other entertainments.
It was Albert Cox who was to set the future pattern for Brass bands in Lincoln for many years to come. The father of six boys and four girls, Albert encouraged and trained five of his six sons to play brass instruments, Cyril being the only one not to do so. Jack was reported to be a very fine cornet player until the age of some twenty years old, when he gave it up, much to the annoyance of his father. Frank played Euphonium until he was unfortunately killed in an accident at Leys Malleable in 1967. The other three boys, Bill, Ellerby, and Charlie were to become household names throughout the city. Bill played Euphonium with most of the bands in the county, but principally with the Lincoln Borough band, and the City band. Charlie was well known throughout the County, being, along with his father, one of the founder members of the Ransome and Marles Band, and also conducted Skegness Town Band. He played Trombone with the Borough Band and the City Band in his early years, and later in life played with Ruston Bucyrus Band, where he taught youngsters to play, prior to the formation of the now popular Beaver Youth Band.
Following the deaths of both Ellerby Cox and Albert in September and December of 1947, it fell to the younger Ellerby to become Bandmaster of the Lincoln Borough Band; a post he most ably carried up to his own death in 1977. It is most certainly recognised by all the Brass Musicians in the city that only the supreme efforts of Ellerby Cox kept the Borough Band going throughout the lean yews of the sixties and seventies. Ellerby's daughter, Joy, started to play with the band at the early age of nine. She was to meet her future husband, Geoff Mather, in the band. They had three children; Mark, Richard and Julie all of whom played. joy did remarkable work as Band Secretary for several years, up to her untimely death at the age of only 44 years in 1988. Unfortunately, but possibly understandably, following her death, none of her family played any further part in the band. It is very sad to my that in this, the centenary year of the band, there are none of die Cox family any longer playing. 1 am sure that not only the City of Lincoln Band, but the County Brass Band fraternity owe a great deal of gratitude to the Cox family for the many decades of service they gave to Banding.
Temperance Galas at Lincoln Arboretum
The Lincolnshire Chronicle dated 28th June 1895gives a lovely account of the annual Temperance Gala. It is a part of band history in that the Malleable Ironworks Band usually took part in the procession and then the Brass Band Contest, in which they had some considerable success through the years. The Chronicle Report reads: As usual, the members of various Bands of Hope assembled in the first instance at their respective schools and other meeting places, and afterwards formed into four separate companies in different parts of the city, from wence they marched to the Great Northern Railway Station yard. When all four sections had arrived, the Lincoln Malleable Ironworks Band struck up a lively air, and the procession moved off towards the Arboretum. The route taken was up High Street, along Silver Street and Monks Road. The whole way was lined with spectators, often four and five deep. Various Ministers resident in the city, and several officials of the Temperance Society occupied the first positions and following these came the Societies Band of Hope, novelty items and girls carrying an enormous quantity of flowers. Several mailcarts, elaborately decorated were requisitioned, and there was also a girl in up to date costume, riding a bicycle,which created much fun and amusement. Newland Mission produced a novelty to show "what we can do with water". A small portable steam engine from the Sheaf Ironworks was placed on a dray, which was decorated to represent the parapet of a bridge over which the engine was being taken. The parapet was entirely formed by looped brown and white tissue paper, strung on wires, and had occupied the makers for several weeks, the whole being a triumph of ingenuity, patience, and skill. The same society also had a bannerette "Sign the pledge" The article goes on to describe many other displays in the procession, with floral decorations and wearing of colourful sashes. One section describes several children seated under a canopy of apple green and dark green crepe paper, each having hold of an anchor as a symbol of hope. The latter part of the procession was formed by the May Queen's car, the Maypole, and the children carrying bouquets of flowers. Bannerrettes were awarded by three judges for the best displays, and if the banners were won for three years in succession, they became the absolute property of the society. Arrived at the Arboretum, tea was provided for all the members of the various Bands of Hope, and after this, games of almost all descriptions were indulged in by the little ones. The Brass band contest probably excited m much interest as any of the events, and for this, six bands entered, viz: Stamford Silver, Grimsby Temperance, Lincoln Newland Mission, Gainsborough Britannia, Lincoln Malleable Ironworks, and Lincoln Excelsior The judge was Mr B.D. Jackson who, finding it impossible to say whether the Britannia or Malleable was best, at length decided to divide the £15 and £10 prizes between them. Grimsby received £5 third prize. In the early evening, another competition took place for the championship of Lincoln. Victors were the Lincoln Malleable Ironworks Band, winning £5, with Excelsior £3 close behind. Lincoln Newland took third prize of £1. The prize for the neatest and most effective band uniform in the procession was given to Lincoln Malleable Ironworks band. In addition to the musical competitions, there were various entertaining acts engaged, including a marvellous balancing act, whose feats excited the wonder of all. The Arboretum from early afternoon to late at night was crowded with people, with about 20,000 persons passing through the gates. What an event the day must have been to Lincoln people who, it must be remembered in those times would seldom set foot outside of the county. Unfortunately, the event disappeared in the early 1930's, possibly under the pressures of the more modern transport and alternative canned entertainment coming into being.
The Contesting Field
Without a doubt, the Malleable Ironworks Band had the most success in contesting, particularly in the years between 1910 and 1920. One such honour came to the band at the Crystal Palace in 1911, when they won the first prize in the second section, which consisted of the "Daily Express" fifty-guinea shield, and also obtained a silver-plated cornet, a silver-plated trombone, £20 in cash, and a cross belt and pouch for the Bandmaster. More than 25 bands completed in the section, for which the test piece was 'Maritana'.
A civic reception took place at the Palace Theatre, Lincoln, where the shield was formally presented to the band by the Mayor of the City, Coun. C.H. Newsum. Admission was by collection to raise money for the band funds. The Theatre was absolutely packed by a most enthusiastic audience. When the stage curtain rose, the band were seen with the trophies they had won during that year, including the National Second Section Shield, the Challenge Shield won at Cleethorpes (Lincolnshire Championship), and the Mansfield, Shirebrook, Grantham and Newark Silver cups. The band were conducted by their contest professional conductor, Mr Angus Holden, of Ashton under Lyne, through a superb rendition of the winning test piece 'Maritana'. The highest placing achieved by the Malleable Ironworks band was in 1920, when they took second prize in the championship section of the National finals at Crystal Palace. The Lincoln review of October 9th 1920 reports... "In an article on the contest published in the British Bandsman, Mr Cyril Jenkins, the composer of the test piece 'Coriolanus', and also one of the adjudicators says: "The playing of the first six bands was technically little short of perfection, and especially was this the case with the first three. Indeed, the adjudicators had to consider the matter with the utmost care before finally deciding the order in which those bands should be placed". It will be seen therefore that the second place awarded to the Lincoln Malleable Band might quite conceivably had been the first. Little as we appreciate the fact Lincoln ousts a Brass band combination which is only a decimal point removed from the Championship of England and therefore the world" ' Glamourous words indeed, but there can be no denial of the fact that at the height of these major successes, the band really must have been one of the best in the country.
The Lincoln Review, 24th Sept. 1921 in expressing good wishes to the band, bound once again for the National Championships on that date, says: Lincoln has cause to be proud of the achievements of the Malleable Ironworks Band. All who have had the pleasure of listening to the performance of this fine group of musicians have realised the beauty of tone, and excellent sense of rhythm which characterises their playing. Both the Midlands and the North are noted for their bands, and the Malleable Ironworks have shown that Lincoln possesses one of the best bands in the country. The band has again been selected to complete at the Crystal Palace, and has been diligently engaged in practising the test piece - a Tone poem entitled 'Life Divine' by Cyril Jenkins. Mr W Halliwell of Wigan is acting as the bands professional conduct", and under his expert tuition the band have made a decided progress, and competent musicians place their standard of play very high. This year's championship will be the most important ever held; the chief prize being the Thousand Guinea Cup to be competed for by no less than twenty bands. All good wishes go with the band in their journey to London”. As no reports appear in the following week's edition, it is assumed that no prizes were achieved on the occasion, but what a marvelous feat to have taken part at such a high level.
With those reports, and the acceptance of the status the Malleable Ironworks Band held, perhaps it is time to leave the glory years and move on to the Post War Era, when winning was not so much the objective, bu t raising a band competent enough to contest at all. This may sound hard, but in truth this was exactly the way it was. Once the Sponsorship money stopped, a lot of the better players moved on, and then of course 1939 saw another great loss in the war. It must have been around 1950 that the younger Ellerby Cox took the Lincoln Borough Band to the Lower Section contest at Belle Vue Manchester. It was of course; a great achievement to have a full band to go with, and while no prizes were forthcoming, it was considered a step forward, and generally good for both the education and the morale of the band.
Apart from full band contesting, groups of four have taken part in Quartette contests over the years. One such programme from Skegness, 18th October 1947 shows Lincoln Borough Quartette achieving second prize, while Lincoln Borough Trombones came third. Usually at the same venue there is also a solo contest, and in this particular programme the names E. Cox, C. Cox, C. Boddy, L. Horton, and L Sheriff are recorded, all Lincoln Borough Band players. No prizes to show, but the experience in Solo Contest playing certainly gives a confidence for full band playing. A very much later article in the Lincolnshire Echo, undated but calculated to be around 1980 shows a Lincoln Band Junior Quartette as Mark Mather, Peter Cant, Karen Hallam, and Brian Newland, this ensemble gaining third prize. Possibly the best achievement in Quartet contesting came in 1946, winning fourth prize and a £50 engagement at a Sheffield Cinema, in a special V.E. Championship held in Sheffield. The contest attracted an entry of 26 quartets from all over England. Lincoln Borough Band, formerly the Malleable, sent a Quartet comprising W. Cox (Euphonium), F. Morris (Horn), E. Cox (Solo Cornet), Peter Finch (2nd Cornet), and conducted by Albert Cox. The test piece was 'O, Harmony' by W. Hollingworth, and the wi nn ers were: 1) Edge Hill, Liverpool; 2) Grimethorpe Colliery; 3) Ripley United; 4) Lincoln Borough.
While the full band did continue to contest over the latter years of young Ellerby's Term, through Bob Maycox and indeed still today under Brian Newland, success has so far eluded the band. Hopefully, with the help of Dr. Jon Hall, the well known professional adjudicator and conductor now visiting the band once a month, a piece of silverware will soon be forthcoming to reward the efforts. Finally, a very amusing article in the Lincolnshire Echo of August 20th, 1934, recording memories of a Lincoln Bandmaster (i.e. Albert Cox, having conducted the City Band for 20 years). Refering to the days of the Annual Bandcontest in the Arboretum, where one particular year, the adjudicator was a Mr George Ascher: There was particularly keen rivalry between Gainsborough Britannia the Malleable Ironworks, and the Lincoln Excelsior, for whom Mr Cox was playing at the time. Mr Ascher first declared that the Gainsborough Band should have the cup, then something told him that perhaps the Excelsior deserved it No sooner had he announced his intention of giving it Excelsior than he had another inspiration and decided that the Malleable were really winners. Three times he changed his mind, and three times the expressions in the faces of the Bandsmen changed. The last expression boded no good for anybody. Trombone, Cornet and Euphonium were flung aside in a frenzied rush for Mr Archer. Somebody brandished a Double Bass and Mr Ascher fled. He made one complete circuit of the Arboretum. With the Bandsmen still in pursuit, as a last resort he took a flying leap into the duck pond. Eventually, he escaped to the Committee tent. Soon afterwards he was seen crawling out underneath the canvas. He climbed the railings of the Aboretum and made a beeline for the station, taking with him the secret of who won the cup. Meanwhile, the conductor of Mr Cox's band had settled the issue for himself. He took possession of the cup and marched with it down High Street at the head of his band". So there we have it. Nothing changes. The only band who ever agree with the judges is the band that wins!!
Ellerby Cox was appointed conductor of the Malleable Ironworks band in 1895; a post he held right through to his death in September 1947. The period following his appointment, up to the mid 1920's was definitely the most successful period of contesting achievements in the history of the band. As was common practice in those days and to a lesser degree today, the resident conductor did not necessarily conduct on the contest platform. Indeed, when the Malleable Ironworks band came second in the National Championships in October 1920, the band were conducted by Mr W. Halliwell of Wigan, and again in the following year the same Mr Halliwell was the conductor. Further evidence of this practice arises in programmes of Championship contests held at BelI Vue Manchester in 1901, 1908, and 1910. In the 1901 contest, the Malleable Band were conducted by Mr Fenton Renshaw of Blackholes, Huddersfield, while Mr Angus Holden of Horbury conducted in the 1908 and 1910 championships. Nothing to be taken away from Ellerby Cox in these successful contesting years, because in the programmes for Belle Vue Manchester, the name E. Cox appears on the front row cornet stand. Further more, one must always remember that the band would have to be up to near contest standard before the paid professional conductor appeared on the scene to put in the finishing touches.
It was only through firstly, the withdrawal of sponsorship by Lincoln Malleable Ironworks in 1936, and then the outbreak of war in 1939, that the playing standards were unavoidably allowed to fall. With the death of Ellerby in September 1947, the appointment of conductor fell to brother Albert Cox, who himself died in December of the same year. While one may be excused for thinking that such a short period of Bandmastership could well be omitted from record, it must be said that Albert had given very valuable service to the band throughout Ellerby's term, not only as a leading instrumentalist, but also as a music arranger. Indeed, some of Albert's manuscript is still in the band library today. He also conducted the City Band, which he started in 1922, and was also the first conductor of the Ransome and Marles works band at Newark. Such dedication to the local Brass band scene is well worthy of mention. Having lost two Bandmasters in the same year, the band were stunned to say the least, and after a lengthy general meeting, it was decided that Albert's son, Ellerby, would take over the band on a temporary basis. This temporary basis was to last from 1947 until his death in 1977. The struggles that Ellerby encountered to keep the band alive are legendary, and are adequately covered within this brochure. What does need to be portrayed is the 'fatherly' figure who became loved by young and old players throughout his 30 years with the baton. It was this 'family' feeling in the band, the encouragement given to youngsters, the patience to teach, and the willingness to entirely devote his life to the band, that endeared Ellerby to all who played for him. This was to be the formula which kept the band going through those difficult years.
Having lost Ellerby in 1977, his son-in-law, Geoff Mather, conducted on a temporary basis until a regular conductor could be found and in 1978, Bob Maycox was appointed Musical Director (the modern jargon for bandmaster) Rob had many years of Brass Band experience with Lancashire bands before taking over Kirton (Boston) band and eventually the Horncastle Town band. A man wi th a very modern approach, and undoubtably a very extensive musical knowledge, he quickly put his stamp on the Lincolnshire Brass band scene. It was during this period that the Lincoln band twinned with the Kolpings Kapelle band of Neustadt, Germany, and Bob was the first conductor to take the band to the Neustadt Wine Festival in October 1978. Return visits were agreed to take place every four years, with the Kolpings Kapelle Band visiting Lincoln during the two years between.
Bob Maycox decided to retire in July 1986, and once again the band had to advertise for a conductor. After several unsuccessful auditions Of prospective candidates, Brian Newland came forward from within the band, and was accepted for the position in September 1986.
Lack of conducting experience being far outweighted by drive and enthusiasm, Brian quickly established himself m a leader from the frontAnyone who witnessed his 'Snow-white with the dwarfs at the 1990 Christmas concert will appreciate his extrovert and fun loving nature. Furthermore, his lead in front of the 'umpah' band on German nights is evidence of his natural leadership.
It was in 1989 that the city of Lincoln Band took on a second twinning, this time with the Hoornse brass band of Holland, and Brian had the pleasure of taking the band on their first visit to Holland in May 1989. The Hoornse band returned the compliment by visiting Lincoln in July 1990.
During his term as Musical Director, Brian has vastly improved his conducting ability, and has taken the band to Regional Fourth Section contests at Nottingham. The band have engaged the services of the well known professional conductor, Dr. Jon Hall, during the put year, and both Brian and the band in general have greatly benifited from the experience. Looking back over all the conductors, one can appreciate the strict regime of the successful Malleable Ironworks Band under the older Ellerby Cox, but we must also be mindful that in those days the band enjoyed sponsorship from the firm, allowing 'expenses' to be paid to leading players. Needless to say, once the expenses payments dried up, it would be very difficult to keep the better players against competition from other works sponsored bands.
Once the Malleable Sponsorship was withdrawn, it was a very long and hard road to follow. Thanks to the younger Ellerby, the band did survive, and through Rob Maycox and now the undoubted talent of Brian Newland, the future looks a great deal healthier. Contest success may still be some way off but with the expertise of Dr. Jon Hall in evidence, the band may yet spring a surprise or two. Most certainly, the concert platform is far more enjoyable than for many a long year, both to players and audiences, with 'quality playing' becoming the byword.
Friends of the City of Lincoln Band
This organisation was formed at the beginning of 1983 with about 40 members, and came out of the involvement of a number of people not then connected with the band, who had agreed to act as hosts to the members of the Neustadt Kolpings Band, who visited Lincoln in 1982. That visit had produced so much enjoyment and goodwill that it was decided by those involved to try and maintain the momentum of the enthusiasm generated by the visit as a permanent means of both remaining in personal contact, and helping the Lincoln Band. the objectives of the Friends of the City of Lincoln Band were therefore defined as: 1. To keep Personal contact in between visits to Lincoln and Neustadt by the respective Bands 2. To organise social functions, so that there is an opportunity such contacts between the Friends and the Band. 3. To raise funds at these functions in order to assist the Lincoln Band from time to time. During the 9 years of existence, the Friends have visited Neustadt in 1984 and 1990, and the Neustadt Band visited Lincoln in 1987, and will visit again in 1993. Many social events have been held by the Friends, and nearly £6,000 made available to the band for the purchase of instruments, and assistance with the new uniforms. Indeed, the organisation have more than lived up to their principle of 'having fun whilst raising funds'. The band count themselves extremely fortunate in having such tremendous support, not only financially, but also the moral support given at band functions. The title of the organisation, chosen in 1983 has proved entirely appropriate.
Musical Director's Notes
So here we we then, after all the ups and downs, finally reaching the centenary year. How proud the 'old brigade' would have been to see it achieved. All the hard work put in by the likes of Albert Cox and the total dedication of Ellerby in seeing the band through it's most difficult years. Personally, I feel extremely privileged to be the one fortunate enough to be cut in the limelight of the centenary yew. In reality, the achievement is due in no small way to many hardworking and dedicated people, beavering away quietly, not seeking recognition, just for the good of the band. People like Mrs Jean Cooper, the Band Librarian, who does a great deal of work behind the scenes. Our band secretary Wayne Healy, who makes light work of a most difficult job The tremendous work done by the “Friends of the Band” The wives, husbands, girlfriends etc, who support the band at concerts, contests, and parades, providing refreshments at band functions, and generally getting behind their partners. How fortunate we are to have such support. The band would not be where it is today without them. A very big THANKYOU to you all. On the musical side, I must thank the players for the many hours of dedicated practice at the bandroom on Monday and Thursday evenings. There always seem to be something to rehearse for, whether it be Christmas, Armistice Parade, concert or contest. The many hours of rehearsal are obviously well spent - very much appreciate the vast amount of work which has gone into compiling this booklet; a great deal of which has been shouldered by Les Sheriff. I speak for the whole band in offering our thanks. I consider it an honour and a privilege to conduct such a wonderful group of people. May the band continue to make music, to be enjoyed by many for another 100 years. Brian Newland
Although not part of the original publication, the following was added August 3rd 2009 by Chairman, Trevor Shaw.
In 1995 following the departure of Mr Brian Newland the band appointed Mr Derrick Ward Bed. PGCE.ALCM. as their new musical director. Having been a junior cornet, champion, a musician with the Royal Air Force, and principle cornet with such bands as Brighouse and Rastrick, and Black Dyke Mills Band together with over 40 years teaching music he brought a wealth of experience to the band. Derrick conducted the band for many happy and successful years opening doors for the band to play a wide selection of music and developing individual players. 2008 saw the band seeking a new conductor due to the sad death of Derrick after a short illness. He will be greatly missed by the band and banding movement. The band appointed Mr Ken Winmill who trained at the Royal Air Force School of Music as Derrick's successor. Ken has a wealth of playing experience within the music arena which will progress the band forward