Archived Histories of Brass Bands 
Bands Directory   |   Events   |   Products & Services   |   People   |   Organisations   |   Reference   |   About IBEW   |   Contact

This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.

Carharrack & St Day Silver Band

1912 - The Carharrack Brass Band was formed. It consisted of 14 players.
1913 - The first uniforms were acquired at the bandsmen's personal expense.
1915 - The band began entering contests.
1916 - It took six hours to travel to St. Newlyn East for a contest.
1919 - The band had a summer full of engagements.
1928 - The band were by now practising regularly twice a week.
1932 - The band received from W.J.Mills, the gift of uniforms and instruments. Following this the band was known as 'Carharrack and St. Day Temperance Silver Band'.
1933 - The instruments were formally presented to the trustees of the band by Joe Mills on behalf of W.J. Mills who was unable to be present due to ill health. Following this gift, the band was next assured of rooms for storage and practises at the village hall in Carharrack. The main hall was also made available for practises once a week.
1937 - The longest serving band master to date took over. Clifton Allen stayed for 23 years.
1959 - The band gained second place at Bugle Band Contest.
1969 - The band were promoted to the second section.
1970 - The band qualified to play in London at the National Final's.
1977 - The Queen's Silver Jubilee year. The band was invited to play for the visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
1979 - The band gained a first at Paignton band contest.
1980 - The building of a new band store was completed at the rear of the village Hall, now known as the Mills Hall.
1982 - The band were kitted out in new uniforms.
1983 - Clifton Allen was guest musical director at the Massed Band Gala, 66 years after he first joined the band.
1986 - Five new instruments were purchased and the Youth Band was formed. At Penzance Contest in September the adjudicator described Carharrack and St. Day Silver band as "the outstanding band of the contest" after they gained a first in both third and second sections.
1987 - The Youth Band entered the Truro contest and came second. A complete set of music cases were presented to the band by Colin Johns. Celebrations were held to mark the 75th Anniversary of the band.
1988 - The band was upgraded to the third section and at Brean Sands at Easter gained a third place which entitled them to go the final's at Prestatyn. By June, seven youth members had been accepted to play with the Cornwall Youth Band. In September, the band played in both the second and third sections at Penzance Contest, and came second in both sections.
1989 - Jim Richards, the Musical Director at the time, felt he had taken the band as far as he could, so after qualifying for the National Final's at Bristol in April, the band was conducted in London by Noel Harris. Roy Trelease had taken over the conducting of the Youth band on a temporary basis.
1990 - In February Reuben Long took over as Musical Director from Noal Harris. It was a poor year for the band with many players leaving and only two engagements undertaken. One of these was St. Day Feast for which players had to be borrowed from other bands.
1991 - Although two new tenor horns were bought, the band continued to pass through difficult times both musically and financially.
1992 - This situation continued into 1992. By October, it was decided that the current uniforms has "seen better days" and that many were unsuitable for the present playing members. Instead of purchasing new uniforms, the band was kitted out with jumpers, many of which were bought by the band members themselves.
1993 - Although the band still had problems, by the end of 1993 it could boast twenty-five senior band members and eighteen beginners. The subject of uniforms was again addressed, and it was suggested that new ones were needed. It was the fourth year in succession the band had not entered any contests.
1994 - Due to work commitments, Reuben Long had to resign as Musical Director and the post was subsequently filled in May by Jim Wyatt. However, his reign was a short one and by December the band was again without a Musical Director.
1995 - In January Roy Trelease took over as Musical Director with Philip Matthews as bandmaster, and in March of 1995 the band was again registered to play in contests. The following month saw them give their first concert in the Mills Hall under the directorship of their new Musical Director. Again it was obvious that new uniforms were desperately needed. Quotes were obtained and it was apparent that the band needed to raise in excess of 3,500 to pay for them. For the first time the band played at St. Day Feast without the need to borrow players from elsewhere. December saw the first joint Christmas concert of the senior and youth bands with St. Day C.P. School.
1996 - The year began with discussions of new uniforms and the possibility of applying for a lottery grant. By February a uniform jacket in a jade colour had been made up for approval, and following three phone calls, a lottery pack had been obtained. Successes were gained in contesting, with a second for the youth band quartet at Wendron, a third for the senior band at Truro, and resplendent in their new uniforms, a first at Penzance for the senior band in September. For the second year in succession the band enjoyed a presentation evening in October, and in December a joint Christmas concert with the school.