Archived Histories of Brass Bands 
    
 
Bands Directory   |   Events   |   Products & Services   |   People   |   Organisations   |   Reference   |   About IBEW   |   Contact
 


This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.



Carlisle St.Stephen's Band

The band was formed in 1904 and started it's life in a tin-roofed hut on Arthur Street, in the Currock area of Carlisle. The noise of the rehearsals was not appreciated by the local residents, who threw stones on the roof to express their displeasure. Eventually the vicar of St.Stephen's parish church came to the rescue, offering rehearsal space in exchange for the band's services each month in church.

The band grew from there, and reformed after the First World War. By the mid 1920's the band had become one of the most respected names in British Brass Banding, winning the World Championships in 1927 and 1929, obtaining a 2nd place in 1926 and 3rd in 1928.

The band is not actively contesting at present. We last competed in the 3rd Section of the National Brass Band Area Championships Competition in March 2007.