This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.
Broxburn Silver Band
The Band formed in 1891 from the ashes of an Irish flute band and had rehearsals in the Cardross Hotel, was known as the Broxburn Co-op and now known as the snooker club. The band first entered brass band competitions in 1895.
The band has always had a close link with the church and was ready to play at church processions in Broxburn and Winchburgh and any other charitable events such as the nuns at Lasswade and many other pilgrimages, garden fetes etc.
With the Cardross Hotel being badly damaged by fire the band moved to a classroom in the Broxburn catholic school until a management commitee member decided that the band should pay a rental of 7/6 each night. As most of the band were unemployed they had to move on and were granted the use of the Shamrock Hall for a 1/- per night rental.
The band stayed in this hall for many years until the Canon Hoban Hall was built and a room designated as a band room. The rest you could say is history and in 1991 the band celebrated its 100th anniversary (Brochures marking this event were printed and may still be available by contacting the band secretary)
The band still manages to play at a few local engagements and church services as well as contesting. After winning the Scottish Championship 4th section for 2005 the band qualified to represent Scotland in their section in the national finals which were held in Harrogate on the 25th Sept 2005.