This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.
Barnton Silver Band
Barnton Silver Band was first formed in 1891 under the name of "Barnton Temperance Band".
The first practice was held on Thursday September 3rd 1891. The first practice rooms were an old hay loft and shoemakers shop at the residence of Mr Edward Hindley.
The name was soon changed to "Barnton Subscription Band" to allow a broader membership after a few months and then to our final name.
In 1894 a wooden bandroom was built in Oakwood Lane, Barnton and the latest instruments were purchased following a loan of instruments from the original Brunner Mond & Company.
We continue to play at the BM&Co remembrance service in November at Winnington.
In around 1910 the band was photographed (see below) and this superb picture has been sent to us by Paul Latham. We have traced 'Philip Fogg', a cornet player, on the front row 4th from the left. He is Paul's Great Grandfather.
In The Great War, the band contributed 15 men to the forces, of these 12 joined up in 1914. All these came back, one lost a leg and the use of his right arm, another lost the use of his right arm, another lost the use of his left arm and another died later of disease contracted during the war in Greece. One member was awarded the DCM and the Italian Medal for Valour.
In the early part of the war the band paraded at Winnington, Barnton, Anderton, Comberbach & Antrobus for funds for soldiers comforts.
The band continued to be very active in the local community. For example on August 27th 1922 the band lead a procession to open the new Comberbach War Memorial and Recreation Field to the strains of "Onward Christian Soldiers". There were free teas for the children and also for those who had lost someone in the war. This was our first recorded job.
Mrs Jean Foster has provided some of the later history.
During the 1940s the Leicester family dominated the band personnel. It was suggested if there was a call, 'Leicesters fall out', there would be no one left in the band!
TrophiesThe 1990s were a purple patch for the band with Peter Hormbrey on tuba, son Edwin on cornet and great friend and star soloist Howard Bancroft also on cornet.
Edwin excelled with his music and at one time a surfeit of cornet players in the band forced him to switch to the trombone. An adjustment he took in his stride as he went on to greater things with the Dalton Band and The Cheshire Youth Band.
Howard not only starred in the band, but was also a gifted glass blower at ICI.
Two of the trophies from the Finals of the North West Region at Blackpool in 1994 and 1995 now adorn the mantel piece at the Hormbrey home, The Poplars, together with some of Howard's impressive glass work.
Over the last 19 years we have taken part in brass band contests in the 4th Section and reached the dizzy heights of the third section for a while under the baton of Steve Yates.
After falling on hard times about 2 years ago, the band not only survived but after acquiring a new conductor, Brian Lamb, is now thriving again. We returned to contesting in the 4th Section (at Pontins in Prestatyn in October this year) and is now very active again in the local community.
We have rehearsed and performed this year at (amongst others) Little Leigh Village Hall, Barnton Primary School, Pentecostal Church (Barnton), Weaver Hall Museum (Northwich), marched at the Northwich Mayor's Parade, took part in a marvellous concert at Gorton Monastery (Manchester) and collected over £360 for St Luke's hospice in our many Christmas jobs plus boosting funds for the band.