This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.
Aveley & Newham Band
The Aveley Band
The Aveley Band was founded as a Fife and Drum band at the rear of the Crown and Anchor public house in 1894. By 1899 it had evolved into an all brass ensemble performing as Aveley Silver Prize Band. After many years of success, the band won promotion to the Championship Section of Great Britain in 1966 and was renamed Aveley Band in recognition of this feat. It made its first appearance at the Finals of the National Brass Band Championships of Great Britain at the Royal Albert Hall in 1989.
In 1994, to celebrate the Band's centenary, Thurrock Arts Council commissioned a special work entitled "Century", composed by Phillip Harper, a former band member. It was premiered by the Band in a prestigious concert at Thurrock Civic Hall.
The Newham Band
The Newham Band began in the early 20th century as Grangewood Silver Band. Following the war, in 1946, it became East Ham Silver Band, based at the local Technical College which employed the Musical Director as lecturer.
Renamed East Ham Borough Band in the 1950'splayers were attracted from further afield, leading to considerable improvement. By 1958 it was setting significantly new standards for the area and qualified for the N.B.B.C.G.B. Finals for the first time. Subsequently the Band participated in the finals on numerous occasions gaining two top six placings - an outstanding achievement against bands such as Black Dyke, Fairey's and Grimethorpe Colliery. Reorganisation of the London Boroughs in 1965 led to the name being changed once more to the Newham Band.
The Aveley and Newham Band
Throughout their early histories, both bands supported themselves through a variety of concerts, public performances and competitions. There have been regular appearances in the Royal Parks and broadcasts on BBC Radio and TV. These have included Listen to the Band, Bandstand, Friday Night is Music Night and Best of Brass together with several commercials and documentaries. Tours abroad to Belgium, Holland, France and Germany have also been undertaken.
The Aveley and Newham Band was formed in 1995 from the merger of Aveley Band and Newham Band, two of the oldest and most successful brass bands in the South East of England. Since the amalgamation the newly titled Aveley and Newham band has maintained old traditions, enhanced its reputation for superb entertainment and forged many new friendships.
The Band has represented the London and Southern Counties Brass Band Association at eight of the last eleven N.B.B.C.G.B. Finals, as regional Champions in 1998, 2000, 2001 and again in 2006. In 2004 the Band received its first invitation to the Scottish Open Championship and in 2006 mad it's 10th consecutive appearance in the prestigious English International Masters Championships.